Hi,

If you want I would be happy to work in this. I have worked with
KafkaUtils.createDirectStream before, in a pull request that wasn't
accepted https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/5367. I'm fluent with Python
and I'm starting to feel comfortable with Scala, so if someone opens a JIRA
I can take it.

Greetings,

Juan Rodriguez