From: Vin J <winjos...@gmail.com<mailto:winjos...@gmail.com>>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [SparkR] - options around setting up SparkSession / SparkContext
To: Felix Cheung <felixcheun...@hotmail.com<mailto:felixcheun...@hotmail.com>>
Cc: <dev@spark.apache.org<mailto:dev@spark.apache.org>>

This is for a notebook env that has the spark session/context bootstrapped for
the user. There are settings that are user specific so not all of those can go
into the spark-defaults.conf - such settings need to be dynamically applied
when creating the session/context.

In Scala/Python, I would bootstrap a "spark" handle similar to what spark-shell
/ psyspark-shell startup scripts do. In my case the bootstrapped object could
be of a wrapper class that took care of whatever customization I needed while
exposing the regular  SparkSession scala/python API. The user uses this object
as he/she would use a regular SparkSession to submit work to the Spark cluster.
Since I am certain there is no other way for users to perform Spark work except
to go via the bootstrapped object, I can achieve my objective of delaying
creation of SparkSession/Context until a call comes to my custom spark object.

If I want to do the same in R, and let users write SparkR code as they normally
would, but bootstrapping a SparkContext/Session for them, then I hit the issues
as I explained earlier. There is no single entry point for SparkContext/Session
in SparkR API and so to achieve lazy creation of SparkContext/session, it looks
like the only  option is to do some trickery with the
SparkR:::.sparkREnv$.sparkRjsc and SparkR:::.sparkREnv$.sparkRsession vars.

Regards,
Vin.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Felix Cheung