From:   shane knapp <skn...@berkeley.edu>
To:     Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
Cc:     dev <dev@spark.apache.org>
Date:   2017/05/20 09:43
Subject:        Re: [build system] jenkins got itself wedged...

last update of the week:

things are looking great...  we're GCing happily and staying well
within our memory limits.

i'm going to do one more restart after the two pull request builds
finish to re-enable backups, and call it a weekend.  :)

shane

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 8:29 AM, shane knapp <skn...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> this is hopefully my final email on the subject...   :)
>
> things have seemed to settled down after my GC tuning, and system
> load/cpu usage/memory has been nice and flat all night.  i'll continue
> to keep an eye on things but it looks like we've weathered the worst
> part of the storm.
>
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:40 PM, shane knapp <skn...@berkeley.edu>
wrote:
>> after needing another restart this afternoon, i did some homework and
>> aggressively twiddled some GC settings[1].  since then, things have
>> definitely smoothed out w/regards to memory and cpu usage spikes.
>>
>> i've attached a screenshot of slightly happier looking graphs.
>>
>> still keeping an eye on things, and hoping that i can go back to being
>> a lurker...  ;)
>>
>> shane
>>
>> 1 - https://jenkins.io/blog/2016/11/21/gc-tuning/
>>
>> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 11:20 AM, shane knapp <skn...@berkeley.edu>
wrote:
>>> ok, more updates:
>>>
>>> 1) i audited all of the builds, and found that the spark-*-compile-*
>>> and spark-*-test-* jobs were set to the identical cron time trigger,
>>> so josh rosen and i updated them to run at H/5 (instead of */5).  load
>>> balancing ftw.
>>>
>>> 2) the jenkins master is now running on java8, which has moar bettar
>>> GC management under the hood.
>>>
>>> i'll be keeping an eye on this today, and if we start seeing GC
>>> overhead failures, i'll start doing more GC performance tuning.
>>> thankfully, cloudbees has a relatively decent guide that i'll be
>>> following here:  https://jenkins.io/blog/2016/11/21/gc-tuning/
>>>
>>> shane

PRs. For

https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/view/Spark%20QA%20Test%20(Dashboard)/