Per https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.1.1,

1. CentOS 7.2.1511 / R 3.3.3 - this test hangs.

I messed it up a bit while downgrading the R to 3.3.3 (It was an actual
machine not a VM) so it took me a while to re-try this.
I re-built this again and checked the R version is 3.3.3 at least. I hope
this one could double checked.

Here is the self-reproducer:

irisDF <- suppressWarnings(createDataFrame (iris))
schema <-  structType(structField("Sepal_Length", "double"),
structField("Avg", "double"))
df4 <- gapply(
  cols = "Sepal_Length",
  irisDF,
  function(key, x) {
    y <- data.frame(key, mean(x$Sepal_Width), stringsAsFactors = FALSE)
  },
  schema)
collect(df4)