There has been efforts to come up with a unified syntax for streaming (see
[1] [2]), but I guess there will be differences based on the streaming
features supported by a system.

Agree it needs a detailed design and it can be as close to the Spark batch
SQL syntax as possible.

Also I am not sure if its possible or makes sense to express all the
operations via pure sql. e.g. the query start/stop, triggers, watermark etc
might be better expressed via APIs.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wrla8mF_mmq-NW9sdJHYVgMyZsgCmHumJJ5f5WUzTiM/edit#heading=h.vfrf26d6b3ne
[2] https://calcite.apache.org/docs/stream.html