Thanks for the response Andrew.

*1. The approach*
The approach I mentioned will not introduce any new skew, so it should only
be worsen performance if the user was relying on the shuffle to fix skew
they had before.
The user can address this by either not introducing their own skewed
partition in the first place, or repartitioning with less skew again before
the join.
Today the user cannot change partitioning without changing the join
condition in a hacky way:    joinkey1 >= joinkey2 && joinkey1 <= joinkey2

The condition I mentioned below ensures that the *same* keys on left and
right formed their respective subsets:
      left and right partition expressions have the same subset (with
regards to indices) of their respective join keys

I don't believe EnsureRequirements will require any changes, just what the
Exec's are saying is required.

*2. output partitionings*
Yea I got as far as you mentioned, but I didn't at first get why for outer
joins only one side is used.
Now however, I think it makes sense because for outer joins you may be
introducing nulls for at least one side, which makes that sides
partitioning invalid right?

Warn New Year Regards,
Brett