Thank you Holden and Wenchen!

Let me:
- prepare a PR for news in spark-website first about 3.1.0 accident late
tonight (in KST)
- and start to prepare 3.1.1 probably in few more days like next monday in
case other people have different thoughts

2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 2:04, Holden Karau <>님이 작성:

> I think that posting the 3.1.0 maven release was an accident and we're
> going to 3.1.1 RCs is the right step forward.
> I'd ask for maybe a day before cutting the 3.1.1 release, I think
> is also a blocker (at
> first I thought it was just a test issue, but Dongjoon pointed out the NPE
> happens in prod too).
> I'd also like to echo the: it's totally ok we all make mistakes especially
> in partially manual & partially automated environments, I've created a
> bunch of RCs labels without recognizing they were getting pushed
> automatically.
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:57 PM Wenchen Fan <> wrote:
>> I agree with Jungtaek that people are likely to be biased when testing
>> 3.1.0. At least this will not be the same community-blessed release as
>> previous ones, because the voting is already affected by the fact that
>> 3.1.0 is already in maven central. Skipping 3.1.0 sounds better to me.
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Hyukjin Kwon <> wrote:
>>> Okay, let me just start to prepare 3.1.1. I think that will address all
>>> concerns except that 3.1.0 will remain in Maven as incomplete.
>>> By right, removal in the Maven repo is disallowed. Overwrite is possible
>>> as far as I know but other mirrors that maintain cache will get affected.
>>> Maven is one of the downstream publish channels, and we haven't
>>> officially announced and published it to Apache repo anyway.
>>> I will prepare to upload news in spark-website to explain that 3.1.0 is
>>> incompletely published because there was something wrong during the release
>>> process, and we go to 3.1.1 right away.
>>> Are we all good with this?
>>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 1:11, Hyukjin Kwon <>님이 작성:
>>>> I think that It would be great though if we have a clear blocker that
>>>> makes the release pointless if we want to drop this RC practically given
>>>> that we will schedule 3.1.1 faster - non-regression bug fixes will be
>>>> delivered to end users relatively fast.
>>>> That would make it clear which option we should take. I personally
>>>> don't mind dropping 3.1.0 as well; we'll have to wait for the INFRA team's
>>>> response anyway.
>>>> 2021년 1월 7일 (목) 오후 1:03, Sean Owen <>님이 작성:
>>>>> I don't agree the first two are blockers for reasons I gave earlier.
>>>>> Those two do look like important issues - are they regressions from
>>>>> 3.0.1?
>>>>> I do agree we'd probably cut a new RC for those in any event, so agree
>>>>> with the plan to drop 3.1.0 (if the Maven release can't be overwritten)
>>>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:38 PM Dongjoon Hyun <>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>> Before we discover the pre-uploaded artifacts, both Jungtaek and
>>>>>> Hyukjin already made two blockers shared here.
>>>>>> IIUC, it meant implicitly RC1 failure at that time.
>>>>>> In addition to that, there are two correctness issues. So, I made up
>>>>>> my mind to cast -1 for this RC1 before joining this thread.
>>>>>> SPARK-34011 ALTER TABLE .. RENAME TO PARTITION doesn't refresh cache
>>>>>> (committed after tagging)
>>>>>> SPARK-34027 ALTER TABLE .. RECOVER PARTITIONS doesn't refresh cache
>>>>>> (PR is under review)
>>>>>> Although the above issues are not regression, those are enough for me
>>>>>> to give -1 for 3.1.0 RC1.
>>>>>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Sean Owen <> wrote:
>>>>>>> I just don't see a reason to believe there's a rush? just test it as
>>>>>>> normal? I did, you can too, etc.
>>>>>>> Or specifically what blocks the current RC?
> --
> Twitter:
> Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
>  <>
> YouTube Live Streams:

Reply via email to