Hi devs,

I'd like to raise a discussion and hear voices on the "assignee" practice
on committers which may lead issues on preemption.

I feel this is the one of major unfairnesses between contributors and
committers if used improperly, especially when someone assigns themselves
with multiple JIRA issues.

Let's say there're features A and B, which may take a month for each (or
require design doc) - both are individual major features, not subtasks or
some sort of "follow-up".

Technically, committers can file two JIRA issues and assign both of issues,
"without actually doing no progress", and implicitly ensure no one works on
these issues for a couple of months. Even just a plan on backlog can
prevent others from taking up.

I don't think this is fair with contributors, because contributors don't
tend to file an JIRA issue unless they made a lot of progress. (I'd like to
remind you, competition from contributor's position is quite tense and
stressful.) Say they already spent a month working on it and testing it in
production. They feel ready and visit JIRA, and realize the JIRA issue was
made and assigned to someone, while there's no progress on the JIRA issue.
No idea how much progress "someone" makes. They "might" ask about the
progress, but nothing will change if "someone" simply says "I'm still
working on this" (with even 1% of progress). Isn't this actually against
the reason we don't allow setting assignee to contributor?

For sure, assigning the issue would make sense if the issue is a subtask or
follow-up, or the issue made explicit progress like design doc is being
put. In other cases I don't see any reason assigning the issue explicitly.
Someone may say to contributors, just leave a comment "I'm working on it",
but isn't it also something committers can also do when they are "actually"
working?

I think committers should have no advantage on the possible competition on
contribution, and setting assignee without explicit progress makes me
worried.
To make it fair, either we should allow contributors to assign them or
don't allow committers to assign them unless extreme cases - they can still
use the approach contributors do.
(Again I'd feel OK to assign if there's a design doc proving that they
really spent non-trivial effort already. My point is preempting JIRA issues
with only sketched ideas or even just rationalizations.)

Would like to hear everyone's voices.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

ps. better yet, probably it's better then to restrict something explicitly
if we sincerely respect the underlying culture on the statement "In case
several people contributed, prefer to assign to the more ‘junior’,
non-committer contributor".