I have opened two PRs:
One that tries to maintain backwards compatibility:
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/39902
<https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/39902>
One that breaks the API to make it cleaner:
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/40122
<https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/40122>

Note this API has been marked experimental so imagining breaking changes is a
possibility at the moment, whether we do it or not in practice is something we
need to decide.