+1

It's a legacy conf that we should eventually remove it away. Spark should
create Spark table by default, not Hive table.

Mich, for your workload, you can simply switch that conf off if it concerns
you. We also enabled ANSI as well (that you agreed on). It's a bit akwakrd
to stop in the middle for this compatibility reason during making Spark
sound. The compatibility has been tested in production for a long time so I
don't see any particular issue about the compatibility case you mentioned.