Hello everyone,

I'd like to also attach my thoughts:

New Sqoop version: Last time when I'd the chance to talk about this with some
of the PMC members (e.g. Jarcec, Kate ) we've been on the front to create
Sqoop-NG (NG == Next Generation), quite the same what the Flume community did
(and AFAIK from Mike Percy it's been a quite successful act from their POV).
Don't get me wrong, I'm totall NOT against 3.0, though IMHO Sqoop-NG 1.0 would
be a better choice.

Kite: I would totally split this effort into two subtasks. First I would get in
contact with the Parquet team, and would create a KITE independent execution
path in Sqoop for the Parquet backed tables (Hive/Impala/etc.). As a part of
this effort I would also add direct support for ORC format (in the past few
years I've found it very useful in several different situation, and usually
it's quite inconvenient that Sqoop does not support it "out of the box").

As the second substask I would start to remove every KITE based dependency (but
according to my gut feeling it could break the codebase on too many places, and
might not be that EZ to succeed on that front).

Hadoop 2:

Could anyone please highlight me what would be the pros/cons on this front?
AFAIK several vendors (including Cloudera, Hortonworks, MapR, EMR, etc.) are
still supporting Hadoop 2, and according to my best knowledge most of the
userbase are connected to their releases, so I'd like to provide the chance for
those users to use the newest features of Sqoop, thus I would vote for the
compatibility for a bit more time/versions.

Dependencies:

I'd like to cast my very direct and LOUD vote against any alpha dependencies
(including HBase or anything else!). IMHO Sqoop is already a stable component
of the Apache Foundation, and the users can depend on it, thus I'd like to
avoid any kind of "immature" dependency related issues. Of course this is also
just my solo opinion, but as a community I think we must not undermine our
stability.

On the other fronts I totally agree and +1 with the planned efforts,

Best regards,
Attila