Hi All,

I believe we're all on the same page on removing Kite, so I've opened
SQOOP-3313 to track that. @Attila I'm glad to see you're interest in the
ORC part. It would be highly appreciated if you could take a look at this
review request[1].

I'm not that familiar with Flume, but it seems they've added NG after
architectural changes and released FlumeNG 1.0 after Flume 0.9.4 [2]. Even
if we go with NG, I'd suggest calling it 3.0, to avoid confusion with
earlier releases.

I think the biggest part of keeping Hadoop 2 (and previous versions of
downstream projects like Hive) supported would be testing against those. It
would also require at least another build profile to build against them,
and probably another layer of abstraction in the code (like Hadoop shims in
Hive).
Not sure about vendors, but I think they're usually not adding new features
to older release lines. In my opinion we should branch off from current
trunk to track the 1.x release line (where we keep supporting Hadoop 2) and
keep adding bugfixes there, but add new features to trunk only and don't
worry about Hadoop 2 there.

I agree with Attila on the dependencies. We shouldn't release based on
non-final releases. We might bump the dependencies to some alpha/beta
during development, but don't forget to move to the final version in the
end.

+1 for Bogi as release manager.

Regards,
Daniel