On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Michal Krajňanský
<michal.krajnan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rupert,
>
> Thank you for the advice, this is very useful. By the name I assumed that
> chain list is only linear, but now I see that you can specify multiple
> dependencies of a single node.
>
> Anyways, I was able to make GraphChain work, with correcting the syntax as
> A. Soroka suggested -- thank you as well!
>
> FYI, my aim is to understand how the branching works and how the "optional"
> attribute behaves, when there are multiple mutually exclusive paths to the
> same "sink" node (which is not optional).

Optional just means that if an engine fails the execution of the chain
is continued.

Branching is only used to improve performance by executing several
engines at the same time (if the engines do support it). A good
example ist Entity Linking against multiple Vocabularies. If you
include several entity linking engines in your chain they will be
executed concurrently in case you use a WeightedChain. In case of a
ListChain they will be executed in the order as configured in the
list.

WeightedChain "sorts" engine executions based on metadata provided by
the engine implementations. This allows to (1) correctly sort engine
execution and (2) also allows for parallel execution of engines of the
same type. If one want (needs) fine grained control over when an
engine can run you need to use the GraphChain.

In a graph chain an engine depending on an optional engine will wait
until the optional engine has completed. It will also be executed if
this engine fails.

best
Rupert