On Sep 2, 2012, at 12:02 AM, Martin Sebor <mse...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/31/2012 02:38 PM, Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>> My input below.
>>
>> On 08/31/12 09:42, Wojciech Meyer wrote:
>>> The two significant ones (as far as I can understand):
>>>
>>> - as I heard from Christopher Bergström that it's hard to push the
>>>   stdcxx to FreeBSD ports repository (I can understand it and that
>>>   sounds pretty bad, if that's the case then the board should consider
>>>   re-licensing as advised; I agree in general it's a hard decision for
>>>   the board, but imagine the project would benefit, IANAL tho)
>>
>> Christopher's wishes and goals may be different from others'. I do not
>> believe he has ulterior motives that would be detrimental to the rest of
>> us but AFAICT he has not made a compelling argument. Even with one, it
>> stretches the imagination what could possibly convince Apache to give up
>> on STDCXX ownership.
>
> Just a point of clarity: the ASF doesn't "own" stdcxx. They license
> it from Rogue Wave which still has the copyright. (Not that anyone
> there realizes it or would know what to do with it if they did.)
> IIUC, that's also why they can't relicense it under different terms.

FWIW, the ASF never requires copyright assignment... Just a copyright
license to "reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display,
publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your Contributions and
such derivative works."

Also, there is nothing in our bylaws or in the various license
agreements that *exclude* the ASF ever releasing code not under
the ALv2 (how could it? After all, that would prevent us from
ever being able to move to ALv3). Again, we could, if we wanted
to (which we never will, btw) actually make our code under the
GPLv2...