Github user ptgoetz commented on the issue:

    > We won't be able capture this in JIRA either. I am not sure how much of
this is important to have all the commits from each contributor for a single
JIRA which in itself is rare unless its a big patch. It does have ability to
give each contributor credit in the commit log.

    From a legal perspective it's very important that we be able to track the
provenance of all code that lands in an ASF repository and could potentially be
released.

    For example:

    Bob is a committer. Alice and Charles are not. Alice and Charles
collaborate on a patch, both making commits. In the process Charles commits
some code that he doesn't have the legal rights to (its proprietary, etc.).
Later Bob uses this script to merge the pull request, and squash all the
commits. Alice and Charles are listed as authors of the patch, but there is no
history regarding how the code that the ASF doesn't have rights to get there.
Was it Charles or Alice?

    That may seem like an edge case, but one that we should absolutely consider.