Github user harshach commented on the issue:

    @HeartSaVioR Thanks for documenting the script.
    "Branch policy is not compatible with projects which uses this script. They
have branches per version but we just maintain version lines (major, minor,
bugfix) so we should do something while determining fix versions from merged
branches."
    Agree but than again we need modify either script to get this done . So
spark or kafka script doesn't matter much.
    "We're having master and 1.x / 1.0.x branches heavily diverged, so there're
often two or more pull requests submitted per one issue. (Committers don't
cherry-pick between master and 1.x for storm-core manually since it's easy to
see merge conflict.) It should be tested (at least unit test and integration
test) individually, and issue should be closed when all of pull requests are
checked in. It means that we're having different merging step which other
projects don't have.
    Moreover, commit message hook (closing PR) doesn't work if PR is not
against master."
    I am +1 on adding unit tests, integration tests to be run as part of the
script but have a manual validation from the user to say yes/no to go-ahead
with merge. As the unit tests can be flaky there can be false negatives.
    "We should update CHANGELOG while merging step. Personally I don't like
updating CHANGELOG so opened thread for discussion but we didn't decide
something clearly."
    Agree with you on this. This extra-step adds unnecessary commits to the
log. As long as we update the JIRA fixVersions before the release its easy to
generate a change log.

    "Commit message will contain body of pull request which is free format for
now and tends to be meaningless for commit message."
    With the above script one can edit the commit title and it will have JIRA
number & title that will give us much more meaningful message about the work
done as part of th ejira.

    "So without arranging our branch policy and merging step, it will be hard
to get merge script fit for us."
    I disagree with this. We can have minimal modifications to the script to
work with our current branches.