I think we actually tried similar thing once:

- Issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2016
- Wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STORM/A.+Design+doc%3A+adding+jars+and+maven+artifacts+at+submission
- Discussion thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/storm-dev/201608.mbox/%3ccaf5108i9+tjanz0lgrktmkvqel7f+53k9uyzxct6zhsu6oh...@mail.gmail.com%3E
- Pull request: https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/1608

That was definitely new feature which involved huge code change, and close
to core feature (though it was in 'external' directory), so ideal to have
KIP-like thing.

I'm +1 to have this procedure for 'core' and 'new feature', especially for
'breaking change'.

For connectors, we should "lower" the workload instead of adding the
workload. So -0 for that if we just apply procedure without putting efforts
to lower the workload.

We're maintaining 20 of connectors officially, and some of them are already
outdated. (Who really uses ES 1.x nowadays?) Committer sponsor seems not
work as expected: there's no balance between committer sponsors.

We may want to consider bahir or alike approach, or even renew committer
sponsors and drop supporting if it doesn't meet several committer sponsors.
Code quality comes out when we maintain only we can manage it.

We also may need to define 'beta' or 'unstable' for newly introduced thing,
or even having incubating phase from other repo. 'storm-kafka-client' for
example, it has been having critical or even blocker bugs dragging whole
release, and we also allowed breaking backward compatibility between 1.0.x
and 1.1.0. (Hope anyone doesn't take this as offensive. Newly introduced
thing should have time to stabilize and that's natural.)
In this case, we may need to allow more breaking change whatever it can
help stabilizing the module.

So I'd also like to see our efforts to lower workload. We've some possible
improvements: introducing merge script, removing CHANGELOG (It's so easy to
be out of control with handling multiple version lines.), or whatever we
could automate or get rid some redundant procedures.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2017년 6월 10일 (토) 오후 2:14, Roshan Naik <ros...@hortonworks.com>님이 작성: