Github user srdo commented on the issue:

    @hmcl Neither https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2691 nor
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2473 is assigned to you, and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2554 doesn't list any of the
problems pointed out in either of those issues. 2554's description says it will
"do some refactoring to internal state partition management to make it cleaner
and more properly handle partitions reassignment", and given the contents of
this PR I assumed you were intending for this to make roughly these changes. I
was reinforced in that belief by your comments here
https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/2174#issuecomment-321627375, which
indicated that we were discussing either merging this to 1.x and then another
solution to master, or providing a different solution for both branches and
closing this PR.

    I did speak with you, three weeks ago when we discussed how to fix the
Trident spout https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/2174#issuecomment-321623377.
Your last comment was
https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/2174#issuecomment-322223764, which I took
to mean that you basically agreed that we should make the changes, but that you
were considering whether we should keep this PR for 1.x. I had no way to know
that you were working on implementing fixes for the 2691/2473 issues as part of
2554. I feel like I communicated pretty clearly that I was beginning work on an
implementation, both by notifying you here that I thought we should consider a
broad rewrite that would possibly make this PR redundant, and by assigning
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2691 to myself (this is visible to
everyone subscribed to the storm-issues mailing list). I'd be happy to
explicitly mention you in an issue comment before I begin work if we get into a
situation like this again.

    Could you elaborate on the other instances you're talking about? The only
one I can recall is https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/2147, and we discussed
the alternative fix a bunch on the mailing list before I touched the code, and
you gave no indication that you were intending to work on manual partition
assignment.

    I'm sorry about the misunderstanding, and I'm happy to close
https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/2300 if you have a better solution. I'm
not trying to step on your toes or "steal" your issues.