On 5/11/06, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> To summarise then my vote is beta because I believe I think we're
> introducing an uncessaey PITA for users upgrading and it will increase
> questions on the user list and put additional load on the Apache
> Servers.

I absolutely disagree.  To be GA quality, it doesn't have to be "perfect" as
we'll always keep finding issues.  This should be something that is ticketed and
marked against the next release, hopefully GA as well.  Furthermore, this is
such a small issue to pull back an entire release is way overkill.

I agree it doesn't have to be perfect, but I also think its not just
about code. Something that might cause alot of user questions and add
uncessary infrastructure burden are valid points IMO. Also my argument
is against having a 1.3 DTD - once its in a "GA" release we can't take
it back. Historically GA releases are a long time out there and IMO
this is worth rolling another version. One of the reasons 1.3.3 was
only voted beta was because of missing DTD's - I don't see this as
much different to that - since if its not registered, then its as good
as missing.

Anyway, I put forward my arguments for beta - but I see nothing to
change my mind on that since "this is trivial" doesn't persuade me to
think differently.

Niall

I think we should adjust any documentation to only mention the 1.1 DTD, and
perhaps add the 1.3 DTD information as an errata.