On 10/6/2017 1:10 PM, Christoph Nenning wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> ## My elementary idea
>>

>> I would like to try if I can implement following and if it works: I will
>

>> define a new Interface named AsyncResult which has a method named
>>
>> clock() which returns false if the Result has finished the whole job.
>>
>> Whenever Struts saw an AsyncResult, it starts an async request via
>>
>> Servlet 3's async API, then passes that to an internal thread pool named
>

>> StrutsAsyncResultsThreadPool (SARTP), then executes a null result
>>
>> instead. From that side, SARTP always round-robins among AsyncResults
>>
>> and calls their clock()s and completes async and removes them from list
>>
>> if clock() returned false :)
>>

> Basically this sounds good to me.
>
> As far as I understand that means that async work would not be done by
> actions but by results?
>
> I don't like the idea of calling clock() in a timely manner. I would
> prefer if AsyncResult could notify struts when it is finished or when more
> data arrived.
>

> What about executing actions in StrutsAsyncThreadPool (SATP) and having a
> more general AsyncResult to call AsyncContext.complete() (that general
> AsyncResult would be executed in SATP, too) ?

Hello Christoph,

Yes we can but as far as I could understand, there is no gain (with
current modern containers e.g. tomcat). For example, if SATP pool size
is n and it's queue size is q and the os only can handle less than N
concurrent threads, then you can get better results e.g. in tomcat by
increasing it's MaxThreads by n and it's AcceptCount by q! and you will
get best result by setting it's MaxThreads to N. So I think we just made
it harder with no gain.

But when is there a gain? I could find when we are able to round-robin
CPU among current connected clients which their count is very bigger
than N; This improves the number of required threads to handle the
requests and the system will scale under heavy load [1].

So, as it seems that java does not enable us to "time slicing" CPU
between those threads, I had to invent the clock() method :) and if we
define such interface for actions also, then yes, I think we will have gain.

Overall I think it's not as simple as it appears and needs advanced
knowledge in http, servlets, filters and Strut's internals.

Sincerely Yours,
Yasser.

[1] http://www.byteslounge.com/tutorials/asynchronous-servlets-in-java