I'm by no means a struts inner-workings expert so the following statements may totally be wrong. I'm not sure a portlet guru is needed since the problem isn't in struts2-portlet-plugin. It still provides the portlet request/response life-cycle emulation for the application appropriately with no reliance on Spring Portlet MVC. That said I am also not a mocking guru either. I'm not sure how involved it would be to recreate the mocked classes required that org.springframework.mock.web.portlet provided. What's the process to create a bug? I'd like the problem documented if it's supported, there might be others using it. If I have to solve it I'll do my best to do it in a way it can be contributed back. Just to make you aware there is a new portlet spec pretty much final - JSR 362: Portlet Specification 3.0. You might need a caveat added to struts2-portlet-plugin stating the specs supported.
Thanks - John B