On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 10:12 AM Daniel Sahlberg
<daniel.l.sahlb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Den tors 31 mars 2022 kl 15:45 skrev Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 09:21:58AM -0400, Nathan Hartman wrote:

>> > Let me rephrase that question: How do I manually trigger it so we
>> > don't have to wait for the cron job?
>

> I'm guessing you figured out how to run the script! Did you use the Perl or
> the Python variation? I'm curious if the Python script is more powerful and
> better at handling merge failures.

I just went ahead and ran it on my workstation, basically by checking
out the branch, changing to its root directory, and running YES=1
MAY_COMMIT=1 ../svn-trunk/tools/dist/backport.pl. Which means I ran
the Perl version. :-)

It would be cool if there were a way to manually trigger svn-role do
its thing, but it's not super important.

>> Related question: Why don't we run the cron job more frequently? :)
>
> I've also asked this question to myself. There was a discussion elsewhere (in
> the thread regarding migration of svn-qavm (in private@), quoted from memory)
> where someone mentioned a rare race condition with backport.pl if there was
> simultaneous commits to STATUS from someone else. This had happened some time
> in 2013 (?) when two cronjobs was executed simultaneous (on svn-qavm1 and
> svn-qavm2, during another migration) and they stepped on the toes of each
> other causing conflicts. There was a comment "this could happen also because
> of a manual commit to STATUS but we don't have so many commits at 04:00Z so
> the risk is quite low". I can't judge the risk of this.

Hmm, I was going to suggest to run it more frequently around release
time but the above sounds like a good reason not to!! Until it gets
sorted out...

Cheers,
Nathan