Daniel Sahlberg wrote on Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 21:55:36 +0200:
> Den mån 28 mars 2022 kl 09:55 skrev Daniel Sahlberg <
> daniel.l.sahlb...@gmail.com>:
>
> > This commit doesn't look correct.
> >
> > I executed the generate-upcoming-changes-log.sh manually yesterday and it
> > created r1899244, removing a lot of log entries belonging to 1.14.1. This
> > commit (which was executed by cron) restores them.
> >
> > The crontab entry is:
> > [[[
> > # Puppet Name: Update our upcoming changes list
> > SVN=svn
> > 15 4 * * * chronic ~/src/svn/site/tools/generate-upcoming-changes-log.sh
> > ]]]
> >
> > The script begins with a comment
> > [[[
> > # This should be run from the root of a branches/1.{9,10,11}.x working
> > copy.
> > ]]]
> >
> > I suppose the crontab command should be changed to:
> > cd ~/src/svn/1.14.x && chronic
> > ~/src/svn/site/tools/generate-upcoming-changes-log.sh
> >

> So I've investigated this further and my initial analysis seems correct.
>
> This is what happens:
> * generate-upcoming-changes-log.sh determines last patch release number and
> generates upcoming.part.html based on all commits since that patch release
> was tagged.
> * It has two different ways to determine "the last patch release":
>    * If `cwd` is a WC it look in the subversion/include/svn_version.h
>    * Else look in https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/subversion/
> * The logic looking at dists.a.o selected the oldest patch release
> available on dists.a.o, in case there are more than one.
> * The crontab entry executed generate-upcoming-changes-log.sh from ~, thus
> forcing a lookup from dists.a.o
>
> Currently, both 1.14.0 and 1.14.1 are available on dists.a.o. Thus it
> emitted all merged changes since 1.14.0, while expected behaviour (of
> upcoming.part.html) would be to only display merged changes since 1.14.1.

dist/ should only contain the latest release from each supported minor
line, except when a release is being staged.  I.e., today it should
contain 1.14.2 and 1.14.1 since we're in the process of staging 1.14.2;
but by Friday it should contain 1.14.2 and 1.10.8 and only those two.

The script relies on this.  Thus, if we'd deleted 1.14.0's artifacts
when we released 1.14.1 and kept the cron job as it was, the output
would then have been correct (and we wouldn't have had an extra manual
step in our create-a-A.B.x-branch workflow).

> I've pushed a change in puppet to the crontab entry as suggested above.
> This should solve the problem for now. When branching 1.15.x, we need to
> update this crontab entry.

Then please update
<https://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#creating-branch>
accordingly :)