Den lör 11 nov. 2023 kl 15:54 skrev Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 02:22:55PM +0100, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm separating this out to a new thread since it doesn't relate to the
> > upcoming release, but I'm doing the work trying to reproduce Nathan's
> > problem.
> >
> > I've installed Debian Bullseye (on Hyper-V, but that shouldn't matter I
> > think). When I try to do the build, I end up having trouble building
> neon.
> > The error message is "could not find library containing
> SSL_library_init".
> > I have checked that the package libssl-dev is installed (with version
> > 1.1.1w-0+deb11u1).
> >
> > I've tried a very simple file:
> > #include <openssl/ssl.h>
> > int main(void)
> > {
> > SSL_library_init();
> > return 0;
> > }
> >
> > $ gcc -lssl -lcrypto -DOPENSSL_API_COMPAT=0x10000000L ssl.c
> > [..] undefined reference to OPENSSL_init_ssl [...]
> >
> > This makes sense, since ssl.h defines SSL_library_init() as
> > OPENSSL_init_ssl(0, NULL) (protected by an #if checking
> OPENSSL_API_COMPAT
> > < 0x10100000L).
> >

> This function first appeared in OpenSSL 1.1.0.
> Which means trying to call it on earlier version of OpenSSL is an
> expected failure.

I've got OpenSSL 1.1.1w. The code is calling SSL_library_init which is a
define pointing to OPENSSL_init_ssl().

The code compiles just fine, but I don't understand why the code isn't
linking.

As for the original problem, updating to the latest version of the Neon
library doesn't help, I still get the same linking error. I''m sure there
is something fishy with my Debian install...

Cheers,
Daniel