Hi,

I'm separating this out to a new thread since it doesn't relate to the
upcoming release, but I'm doing the work trying to reproduce Nathan's
problem.

I've installed Debian Bullseye (on Hyper-V, but that shouldn't matter I
think). When I try to do the build, I end up having trouble building neon.
The error message is "could not find library containing SSL_library_init".
I have checked that the package libssl-dev is installed (with version
1.1.1w-0+deb11u1).

I've tried a very simple file:
#include <openssl/ssl.h>
int main(void)
{
SSL_library_init();
return 0;
}

$ gcc -lssl -lcrypto -DOPENSSL_API_COMPAT=0x10000000L ssl.c
[..] undefined reference to OPENSSL_init_ssl [...]

This makes sense, since ssl.h defines SSL_library_init() as
OPENSSL_init_ssl(0, NULL) (protected by an #if checking OPENSSL_API_COMPAT
< 0x10100000L).

I've tried changing the order of the libraries (-lcrypto -lssl) with the
same result.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I've spent the better half of a
day figuring out what.

Kind regards,
Daniel