On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 05:30:16PM -0200, Igor Fontana wrote:
> > It doesn't sound like a dwm issue, but rather Xft. I won't add more
> > dependencies to dwm. Rather we should get rid of Xft.
>
> yes, teh guy said something about fontconfig+harfbuzz-ng.
>
> > I cannot reproduce the issue on my machine, but there are other reports that
> > have a similar issue. Feel free to debug it and send a patch.
>
> ok ty!

I also have never had dwm crash when displaying emojis. I think (but I'm
not 100% certain) one of the common elements among users that get
crashes from emojis is having color emoji fonts installed. The only
emoji font I have installed on my computer is the colorless Symbola
(https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/symbola). If you happen to have some
other font(s) installed, consider temporarily uninstalling them or
disabling them with fonts.conf to see if that eliminates the crashes. If
that fixes the issue and you still really want color emojis to be used
in applications that support them, you could modify dwm so that it
favors Symbola. You can find the patch I use to explicitly define
fallback fonts here:

-
https://github.com/ericpruitt/edge/blob/master/patches/st-00-font-array-support.diff

In your case, the configuration would be something like this:

    static const char *fonts[] = {
        "<Your Favorite Emoji-less Font Here>",
        "Symbola",
    };