Hi all,
during the recent release process for 2.0.15 and 2.1.6 I have been following
the steps in [1] as usual.

Unfortunately, when I arrived to launch the release:prepare step, I could not
move forward as the Maven Release plugin, after asking for version to release
and next development version to set, was not effectively advancing the POM
files.

The execution of

mvn -P apache-release release:prepare -Darguments="-P all,docker
-DbuildNumber=syncope-2.1.6"

left the source files set to 2.1.6-SNAPSHOT and thus produced all artifacts
with such version, not 2.1.6. (Same happened with 2.0.15).

After struggling for some time, I finally came to decision to manually
replicate the various steps normally performed by release:prepare [2]:
fortunately, this approach was effective, and I could also continue following
[1], including the release:perform step.

I took some notes of the manual process in [3].

Now I was wondering: what could possibly be the reason of the bad functioning
of release:prepare? I even tried with older Release plugin and Maven versions:
no luck.

As last resort we can always adjust [1] with content from [3], but I'd rather
give release:prepare  a chance.

WDYT?
Regards.

[1] http://syncope.apache.org/release-process