Thanks Misagh for your reply.

In my case I've run the command on the same exact platform (e.g. my own laptop)
as I did other times including the last one before this one, e.g. 2.1.5 /
2.0.14.

To ensure the SCM section was not causing the issue, anyway, I made this change
on a branch of my own fork:

https://github.com/ilgrosso/syncope/commit/009b3f8c760cdad1defaa0a8056f1afd221884cd

Same exact error: release:prepare generated source-release zip for
2.1.7-SNAPSHOT, not for 2.1.7.ilgrosso as it was instructed to.

I can spot the problem because a simple

diff pom.xml pom.xml.releaseBackup

returns no diff, meaning that pom.xml was not changed.

I am going to pose the question to Maven user@ list.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò