Thank you Mike for bringing this up. To me, this definitely makes sense at
the user (DML) level.

For a Java-style pseudocode example, currently we require the user to do
the following:
  int[][] m = int[][]{1,2,3,4};
  int[][] n = m[0][0];
  int x = (int) n;

I feel the following would be more 'natural':
  int[][] m = int[][]{1,2,3,4};
  int x = m[0][0];

If a user asks for a specific cell (and not a range) in DML code, I think
the user clearly wants a value and not a matrix that the user needs to cast
via as.scalar.

Deron