just as a quick update: this issue has now been fixed in SystemML
master - it was essentially a missing guard for recursive functions
when checking for unary size-preserving functions during
inter-procedural analysis (IPA).

However, while working with this recursive cholesky function I came to
the conclusion that it may need some rework. The current top-down,
depth-first, approach is inherently sequential. This is partially
unnecessary because for the used recursive function U_triangular_inv
(which is called many more times than cholesky), blocks per level are
independent. Therefore, we should look into a bottom-up, breadth-first
approach to parallelize over the blocks in each level, which could be
done via parfor at script level.

Regards,
Matthias