On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 6:05 AM, Matthias Boehm <mboe...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> In general, I like the idea of aiming for consistent release cycles.
> However, every month is just too much, at least for me. There is a
> considerable overhead associated with each release for end-to-end
> performance tests, tests on different environments, code freeze for new
> features, etc. Hence, a too short release cycle would not be "agile" but
> would actually slow us down. From my perspective, a realistic release
> cadence would be 2-3 months, maybe a bit more for major releases.

2-3 months of release cadence for an open source is probably a long
stretch, particular for a project that does not have very large set of 3rd
party dependencies.

As for some of the overhead issues you mentioned, they are probably easy to
workaround:

- code-freeze timeframe can be resolved with branches
- end-to-end performance regressions can be avoided by better code review,
and if you were willing to go with 2-3 months without performing these
tests, we could perform them only for major releases, and proactively
quickly build a minor release with the patch when a user report any
performance regression.

Anyway, I would really like to see SystemML more agile with regards to its
release process because, as I mentioned before, the release early, release
often mantra is good to increase community interest, generate more traffic
to the list as developers discuss the roadmap and release blockers, and
also enable users to provide feedback sooner on the areas we are developing.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975