Hi Thiago

> My idea is similar, but not the same: having a separate
> tapestry.javascript-infrastructure-provider value for using latest
> jQuery.

Like 'jquery-3'?

> At my day job, we already had problems with our jQuery code
> when upgrading from 1.3 to 1.8 (or 1.12, I don't remember exactly),
> and I suppose it's going to be way worse going from 1.x to 3.x.

I'm the first to admin I'm neither a jQuery nor a JavaScript expert. Yet from
the jQuery website [1] I understand that jQuery 3.x is backwards compatible all
the way back to jQuery 1.9+ (with the jQuery Migrate Plugin activated). The
jQuery Migrate GitHub page [2] states a later version, namely jQuery 1.12.x, as
a prerequisite.

Anyway, Tapestry's dependency is for jQuery 1.12.1, so there should not be any
issues for anyone as long as we support enabling the jQuery Migrate Plugin also
for production.

> Tapestry 5 has always been careful about backward compatibility, and I
> believe we should keep the existing 'jquery' infrastructure still
> using jQuery 1.x. As Ben said, and I agree 100%, "But it should
> require a conscious user decision to do so."

I'm ok with the conscious user decision, but I don't like sticking to jQuery
1.12.1 as the default. The default should not be a 6.5 year old release.
Setting the value to 'jquery-migrate' would still be a conscious user decision
- a decision to continue with the jQuery 1.12.x compatible code.

Likewise, delivering TAP5-2732 ("change the default value to 'jquery' -
something Tapestry users were 'warned' that would happen one day years ago)
will force those Tapestry users that want to stick with Prototype to make an
active change to that configuration setting. Not asking for too much, in my
opinion.

I'll add my preferred solution to the TAP5-2734 branch so it can be tested
easily. Also, there is no rush. The whole thing is a consequence of trying to
tackle TAP5-2686 which could also be fixed with making a small change in the
Bootstrap 4.3.1 sources bundled with Tapestry.

[1] https://jquery.com/download/
[2] https://github.com/jquery/jquery-migrate/#readme