On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:57:30 +0100, Ian Dunlop <ianwdun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I think I created a tagged rc2 in GitHub that I was going to use as the
> basis for the release process. I also fixed most of the rc1 issues in it. I
> think one of the problems was the name of the folders inside the file. I
> was going to open the gz or zip, change the folder name and rezip it.

Yes, then add pgp .asc signature and .sha256 / .sha512 checksum files.

This is then uploaded to dist.apache.org with SVN, see
our release procedure
https://taverna.incubator.apache.org/community/releasing

The above however assumes mvn which can do this as part of the
release-plugin, but as Taverna Mobile is using Gradle we have to do the
last part "manually" in the shell..

The RC to be voted on goes to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/taverna/source/
(mark /dev/) while a release candidate under a folder name like
incubator-taverna-mobile-1.0-incubating-RC2/

then if the vote is accepted (+3 votes by Taverna PMC, followed by  +3
Incubator PMC votes while we are still a podling)

.. then as the RC is accepted to become an official ASF release we do a
SVN mv to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/taverna/source/
but without "-RC2" in the folder name, aka
incubator-taverna-mobile-1.0-incubating

This would then make its way to the official download mirrors and a day
later we can update the download HTML page and send out email
announcements.

To avoid having to regenerate all those hashsum filenames and the PGP
signature at thet svn mv time, then then the file itself should not have
-RC2 in its name, and neither in its content, as it's a release
candidate only for the purpose of the vote. Thus when testing during the
vote, it will for all practical purposes claim to be 1.0-incubating.

After the vote is passed we also re-tag the RC to the regular version
number in git.

On signing, see also
https://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html