Github user jeking3 commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1459

    My thoughts after sleeping on it are that we should support the current
Ubuntu LTS.  That said, I have no problem telling folks not to use the ancient
golang included in the LTS and to use something newer from either an Ubuntu PPA
or directly form golang sources.

    I also found evidence in a number of other projects that support for golang
1.6 was dropped.  So if you want to fix this in the way suggested, you will
need to update the ubuntu-xenial Dockerfile to use golang 1.7 instead, and you
should update the top level LANGUAGES.md file, add a breaking change note into
the lib/go README file, and update the build/docker/README.md file.  Thanks.

---