I confirmed my memory of TikaServerIntegrationTest.  The difference is
that in 1.x, we were still using threads to start the server and then
hoping that thread.interrupt() actually shut the process down in a
reasonable amount of time.  In 2.x, we're starting processes and then
force quitting those after each test.  In my experience, this got rid
of the flaky tests in 2.x

We didn't change any of the underlying server logic in 1.x.  This is a
problem of flaky tests.

Given that we have the 1.x branch through September, I'll convert the
thread based tests to process based tests shortly.  The question is:
should we roll an rc3 or go with what we have.

Thank you, all.

Best,

         Tim