Hi,

> > I would like to back port these changes to Tomcat 8.5 if you do not have
> > any concerns.
> >
> > -0.1. I think this is ok, but not certain yet.
> - Performance is ok for the "common" unencrypted scenario, but it could go
> down if using SSL, for example [= if the need for direct buffers could be
> hurting - if it is, then there's a problem since SSL will be used almost
> all the time moving forwards].

I executed many combinations of performance scenarios - using direct
ByteBuffer/non direct ByteBuffer,
HTTP/HTTPS, sslImplementationName -
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation/org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.OpenSSLImplementation
And results with/without my changes are the same.
I'm testing with original Tomcat 9.0.0.M9 and Tomcat 9.0.0.M9 + only my
changes.
I'm testing with blocking and non blocking.

Just for testing purposes I changed
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer
to use direct ByteBuffer and then executed SSL scenarios and again the
results are the same.
No visible performance improvement/degradation.

Do you have some scenarios in mind in which a performance degradation can
be experienced.
I can test them and take a deeper look.

> - I didn't test again after the header processing refactoring (the old
code
> was there for speed back then in early 2000s, most likely it doesn't make
> any difference now but it could be verified as well).

I executed many tests and didn't see any problems.

Regards,
Violeta