On 16/02/2019 13:39, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2019-02-11 um 15:51 schrieb Mark Thomas:
>> All,
>>
>> I'd like to propose that we make the move from svn to git for Tomcat
>> 7.0.x, 8.5.x and 9.0.x as soon as the next 7.0.x release is complete.
>>
>> The proposed approach is documented here:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Git+migration
>>
>> I anticipate that the repositories will be read only for a couple of
>> hours.
>>
>> I also anticipate that the CI systems - particularly Gump - will take up
>> to a day to switch over and iron out any problems.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> thanks for bearing with me. I was now finally able to look at the
> proposal. As far as I understand there wil be a single repo for the
> entire code base and everything will happen in branches.
>
> Here are my comments:
>
> 1. You have set up branches: master, tomcat70, tomcat85, etc, but the
> document talks about "Branch names. master, tc8.5, tc8.0, tc7.0 etc"
> that seems to be inconsistent.

The demo was set up before the branch names were agreed.

> 2. What will happens with Tomcat JDBC Pool? Will in remain in the
> Subversion repo or will it move to tomcat-jdbc-pool.git? The code does
> not change that offen that justifies a tandem release with Tomcat.

It will remain part of the repo for each Tomcat version - as it is now.

> 3. Why do you bother to import Tomcat 8.0? It is EOL, leave it in
> Subversion. Do you plan to perform any futher merge here?

The demo was set up before 8.0.x was made EOL. There are no plans to
move 8.0.c to git.

> 4. Can we *please* have a readible tag name scheme?! I simply don't
> understand why people uppercase everything and replace dots with
> underscores. That's just ugly. Consistent tag names would be
> "{branch-name}-{version}" for the mono repo. E.g, tomcat85-8.5.40, or
> tomcat70-7.0.95. This would heavily reduce sed(1) magic for package
> maintainers and improve readability.

The community has not expressed a desire to change the naming scheme.
You are, of course, free to start such a discussion on dev@.

> 5. I assume that mod_jk, native and friends will remain in the
> Subversion repo?

Yes.

> 6. I don't see in the wiki page an agreement on a good/wellknown Git
> commit message scheme: "BZ #123: <title>\n\n<optional message>"

No such convention exists for subversion. The community has not
expressed a desire to introduce one with the move to git. Again, you are
free to start a discussion on dev@