Le 16/02/2019 à 16:09, Michael Osipov a écrit :

> The given approach, for whatsoever reason, performs an uppercase and
> replaces dots with underscores. This reduces readability, but also
> requires people (esp. package maintainers) to perform sed(1) magic to
> convert back and forth.

I agree this is cumbersome, we are doing this kind of manipulation in
Debian too to compare the version packaged with the latest upstream release.

If I remember well this convention is inherited from the CVS era, dots
were not allowed in tag names and thus commonly replaced by underscores
or dashes.

> Approch 1: It will reuse the branch name of the current major version,
> excluding master. Thus, we will have the following prefixes: tomcat90-,
> tomcat85-, and tomcat70-. Since JDBC Pool remains in place and if it is
> released separately the prefix would be jdbc-pool-. The version itself
> would remain as-is and simply appended, e.g., 8.5.40, 9.0.25, etc.

-0

> Approach 2: A simpler, less redundant approach would be naming the
> branches master, 7.0.x, 8.5.x, etc. and get rid of the "tomcat" prefix
> at all. The tags would simply be the versions as-is: 8.5.40, 9.0.25,
> etc. The Git autocompletion will work here too.

+1

Emmanuel Bourg