On 20/02/2019 16:14, Igal Sapir wrote:
> Michael,
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 2019-02-18 um 15:19 schrieb Igal Sapir:
>>> <snip/>
>>>
>>> I actually prefer "tc8.5" and "tc7.0" for the branches (over "8.5.x" and
>>> "7.0.x").  If tags will only use the numeric versions then this will make
>>> it easy to differentiate between branches and tags.
>>
>> tc8.5 could also misread as 8.5 release. 8.5.x implies that this is in
>> development. This a common scheme in many many repos.
>> Where is the benefit keeping the prefix? Git autocompletion will stop at
>> "8.5." and you choose either 'x' or a patch release.
>>

> If I want to switch branches, which is more often than switching to a tag
> in my case, I would simply start with 't' without having to go through the
> tags.
>
> Having to go through the tag options when I actually want to switch to a
> branch is inefficient.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't care much which ones have a 'tc' prefix
> (branches) and which do not (tags), I just like that there is a difference
> between branches and tags.

This got me thinking about how many key pressed would actually be
required for branches

Case A:
Branches: 7.0.x, 8.5.x, master
Tags: 7.0.11, 8.5.20, 9.0.12 etc.

git checkout [7|8|m]<tab>
master then auto-completes
7.0.x and 8.5.x get to "7.0." and "8.5." respectively and need a further
"x" to complete.

So that makes (ignoring the "git checkout ") 2 key presses for master
and 3 for 7.0.x or 8.5.x

Case B:
Branches: tc7.0.x, tc8.5.x, master
Tags: 7.0.11, 8.5.20, 9.0.12 etc.

git checkout [t|m]<tab>
master then auto-completes
7.0.x and 8.5.x both get to "tc" and need a further "7" or "8" and <tab>
to complete.

So that makes (ignoring the "git checkout ") 2 key presses for master
and 4 for 7.0.x or 8.5.x

Of course there are complications to this:
- I suspect most developers will be using worktrees
- keypresses are probably less important than how the GUIs of our
  preferred tools handles this

I think this comes down to whether it is worth using a prefix (tc) to
(more clearly) differentiate release branches and tags in those places
where the two appear together.

To put it another way:

Is "9.0.5 vs tc9.0.x" clearer than "9.0.5 vs 9.0.x"? And if it is, do we
want that additional clarity?