Chris,

Thank you for the feedback:

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 11:49 AM Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Igal,
>
> On 3/4/19 01:02, Igal Sapir wrote:
> > I have uploaded the Tomcat site redesign to a temporary location
> > for review: http://people.apache.org/~isapir/mockups/tomcat-site/
> >
> > The source can be seen at https://github.com/isapir/tomcat-website
> >
> > This includes all of the pages for the website, but not the
> > documentation for the different versions, connector, native,
> > webapps, etc. as of yet.
> >
> > There are three things that I would like to discuss:
> >
> > 1) Feedback, especially if anything is broken or doesn't look
> > right.
>
> If we have "Download | Changelog for x.y.z" for tcnative, we should
> have it for Tomcat itself. The links are indeed there... they are just
> buried in the text above the "Download" link. Let's be consistent if
> possible.

+1 for consistency.

I did not change the text of the pages, only the layout and L&F.  For
example, the tables are now styled differently if you look at the Which
Version page of the old and new site, and I've added a couple of icons e.g.
Download and Bug.

We can easily change the text later but I rather my commits be focused on
the layout only (as much as possible).

> > 2) I can concatenate some resource files etc., but it would be much
> > better> to switch to HTTP/2.
>
> Why, exactly? Scripting the forced-download of a few dependent
> resources is more work than ... not doing that.

I'm not talking about Push, but simply HTTP/2 so that the resources can be
downloaded over one connection via multiplexing.  I actually made a video
about this a few months ago [1].  It is a one time server configuration -
no scripting needed.

All of the major web servers, including httpd [2], support it.  I just
checked and even the main apache.org site is using http/1.1.  I'm surprised
that the Apache websites are not configured already for http/2.

> > 3) We should create a repo for the site, e.g. tomcat-site or
> > tomcat-website.
>
> Do you mean in git? There is already a repo for the site in Subversion:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk

Yes, I mean in git.  We discussed it last week in another thread.

Best,

Igal

[1] https://youtu.be/jhqrRT4fvOA?t=61
[2] https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/http2.html