Sorry that it takes so long, but I am rather overwhelmed nowadays, and
I need to set priorities...

сб, 9 мар. 2019 г. в 00:15, Igal @ Lucee.org <i...@lucee.org>:

> All,
>
> On 3/7/2019 3:22 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>
> > пн, 4 мар. 2019 г. в 09:02, Igal Sapir <i...@lucee.org>:
> >> I have uploaded the Tomcat site redesign to a temporary location for
> >> review:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~isapir/mockups/tomcat-site/
> > 1. Overall: Thank you for your effort, but I do not like it. At all.
>
> The effort to redesign the website was prompted by conversations with
> team members at TomcatCon in Montreal.

OK, but what are the specific issues that were raised?

(There is a rule at ASF is that "if it did not happen on a mailing
list, it did not happen". It means that offline discussions are OK,
but there needs to be some written summary.)

> Fair enough, but I wish you had expressed that two months ago when we were
> going over the layout:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tomcat.apache.org/msg130453.html
>
> [,,,]
>
> I had to work with the constraints of ASF guidelines.  There is a longer
> discussion about this in the thread mentioned above.

Is there an ASF Guidelines document?

(Maybe you have a link? There might be such document, but I do not
remember seeing it. I though that the previous thread had a link, but
I have not found such link there. A whimsy tool was mentioned, but the
tool checks for required contents. It is not about style guidelines.
What am I missing?)
https://whimsy.apache.org/site/

> If there is consensus in the team for keeping the layout with a vertical
> menu on the left then I can redesign that.

I guess the same design will be later used for the Tomcat
Documentation web application,
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/index.html

My main concern is that the documentation is printable and is easy to
use as a reference document.

1) Not being able to print is a show-stopper. (Really.) Anything else
is just a personal preference.

2) Left-side menu allows to navigate to a needed page with a single
click. I really like this feature of this menu.

> It utilizes the Bootstrap 4 framework and is very trendy.

One announcement that made a big impression for me in year 2018 was this one:
https://twitter.com/mislav/status/1022058279000842240
"We’re finally finished removing jQuery from http://GitHub.com  frontend" [...]

Regarding concerns raised in a subsequent thread on this topic
"Tomcat Website Redesign" thread
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tomcat.apache.org/msg132281.html

> a) Do nothing, i.e. keep the website as-is [1] for now
>
> [...]
> IMO option (a) is not good because the site is very outdated and not mobile
> friendly.  Many users nowadays view sites on their phones and/or
> tablets, which a modern design can address.

The current site was redesigned several years ago. (See the log
history of "/xdocs/stylesheets/tomcat-site.xsl" file)  I think it
should be mobile-friendly.

What are the specific issues?

Is it possible to make changes in small incremental reversible steps?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko