Hi,

Work over at Eclipse is starting on Jakarta EE 9 where the significant
change will be the renaming of javax.* to jakarta.*

In parallel, I'd like to start implementing those changes in Tomcat. As
I am still unsure of exactly where I want end up (I have a few ideas I
want to experiment with) I plan to do this in a branch of my public fork
and provide a PR for master when I have a firmer idea of what this will
look like.

In the meantime, I think we need to start discussing - at least in
outline - how we will support Java EE and Jakarta EE going forward.

Here is a not very well thought out starter.

Current status
 7.0.x : Continues to support Java EE 6
 8.5.x : Continues to support Java EE 7
 9.0.x : Continues to support Java EE 8

Step 1 (ASAP)
=============
No change:
 7.0.x : Continues to support Java EE 6
 8.5.x : Continues to support Java EE 7
 9.0.x : Continues to support Java EE 8
Add:
 9.5.x : Supports Java EE 8 with Tomcat API changes planned for 10.0.x
         Make clear to users 9.5.x will EOL as soon as 9.6.x (see later)
         is stable

Step 2 (Jakarta EE 9 - April 2020?)
===================================
Announce EOL:
 7.0.x : Announce EOL around time of first stable 10.0.x release.
No change:
 8.5.x : Continues to support Java EE 7
 9.0.x : Continues to support Java EE 8
 9.5.x : Supports Java EE 8 with Tomcat API changes planned for 10.0.x
Add:
10.0.x : Identical to 9.5.x but supports Jakarta EE 9

Keep 10.0.x and 9.5.x in step part from Java EE / Jakarta EE API

Step 3 (Jakarta EE 10)
======================
Announce EOL:
 8.5.x : Announce EOL around time of first stable 11.0.x release.
 9.5.x : Announce immediate EOL with first stable 11.0.x release.
No change:
 9.0.x : Continues to support Java EE 8
10.0.x : Identical to 9.5.x but supports Jakarta EE 9
Add
 9.6.x : Supports Java EE 8 and includes Tomcat API changes in 11.0.x
11.0.x : Supports Jakarta EE 10

And so on.

We eventually end up with:
Tomcat X supporting Jakarta EE X-1
Tomcat X-1 supporting Jakarta EE X-2
Tomcat X-2 supporting Jakarta EE X-3
And Tomcat 9.Y supporting Java EE 8 with the same Tomcat API as Tomcat X

What I am trying to do with this plan is maintain the 3 major versions
in parallel but add ongoing support for Java EE 8 tied to the latest
Tomcat major release.

An alternative would be to maintain 9.0.x for as long as there is demand.

Thoughts? Alternative approaches?