пн, 28 сент. 2020 г. в 23:04, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> Konstantin,
>
> On 9/27/20 14:33, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> > сб, 26 сент. 2020 г. в 18:12, Christopher Schultz
> > <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
> >>
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm writing about the above topic for ApacheCon @ Home and I wanted to
> >> get some confirmation about a few statements. The code is ... large and
> >> complex and it will be easier to just ask for help from those who Know.
> >>
> >> "
> >> Many files in CATALINA_BASE are optional
> >> * Override those in CATALINA_HOME
> >>  - conf/context.xml
> >
> > I think you are wrong with the above one. By design it has to be in
> > CATALINA_BASE, it cannot be in CATALINA_HOME.
> > E.g.
> > - org.a.c.startup.HostConfig.addGlobalRedeployResources() assumes that
> > the file is in CATALINA_BASE.
> > - org.a.c.startup.CatalinaBaseConfigurationSource#getResources() loads
> > a file from catalinaBase.
>
> My CATALINA_BASE deployments never include a conf/context.xml file. So
> either it's never required or it's only required if the application
> doesn't supply one.

I think that it just is not required. The default file is essentially empty.
It contains just a number of WatchedResource elements. I have not
checked whether there are defaults for them, but as I always run with
<Host autoDeploy="false"> they just do not matter. Maybe that happens
in your use case as well.

(Note that it does not override the file of CATALINA_HOME. The file in
CATALINA_HOME is not read and does not matter.)

By the way, one more thing to mention:
The behaviour of the "lib" directories: According to the value of
property "common.loader" as configured in catalina.properties file,
the libraries and classes are loaded from both base and home. The base
does not overwide home here, but they are combined (in a certain order
- see the value of that property).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko