Mark,

On 12/10/20 11:14, Mark Thomas wrote:
[snip]

Doing conversion on the fly or at deployment/start-up time raises
various issues that boil down to "How do we detect if conversion is
required?" and "What are the performance impacts of doing so?". There
are users who want to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the
system so I think that leads to some sort of configuration option.

This conversion is only applied at class-loading time, yes? Not on every request, etc. I would imagine that a one-time hit for all classes wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Tomcat could allow admins to either allow auto-conversion or not, for the whole server. Or, maybe, for the whole <Host> or something.

-chris