Hi all,

We have an open PR related to this for HTTP/2 (#277) and I am seeing
related issues at $work with HTTP.

In short, applications are doing things like:

response.setHeader("Transfer-Encoding", "chunked");

which, as you'd expect is causing problems if:
- Tomcat doesn't chunk the response
- Tomcat does chunk the response, adds its own "chunked" value and the
  user agent rightly objects to "chunked" appearing twice

And so on.

I'd like to put something into Tomcat to address this.

I think it should be disabled by default so correctly written
applications pay a very small penalty. Along the lines of

if (someSetting != null) {
    // Do header checks
}

In terms of options I think we need:
- something representing the current, allow anything, behaviour
- an option to log (with a stack trace so the offending code can be
  identified) attempts to set such headers
- an option to ignore attempts to set such headers

Do we need an option that throws an exception if there is an attempt to
set such headers?

Do we need an option to control which headers and which values will
trigger this behaviour? This would make the configuration rather more
complex. You'd need to be able to set multiple combinations of header,
value and action.

Is adding debug (no stacktrace) and trace (with stacktrace) logging to
addHeader() sufficient? For identifying faulty code this helps but it
doesn't provide a way to work-around the problem. For that you need
something that blocks the adding of the header.

I'm still considering what might be the best way to fix this. Hence the
brain dump above. Thoughts?