Mark,

On 5/12/21 18:10, Mark Thomas wrote:
All,

Assuming 7.0.109 is the last Tomcat 7 release I am the current release manager for 10.0.x, 9.0.x, 8.5.x, migration tool, native and mod_jk. I'd like to share the load and the knowledge a little.

The step-by-step release process was documented for Tomcat 7:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/ReleaseProcess

It needs a few minor updates but that should give you an idea of what is involved.

I suggest that the major Tomcat versions are actually easier to release as:
- the process is more automated
- because the happen on a roughly monthly cycle you don't forget too
   much of the detail between releases
- there is greater flexibility in the build environment (anything that
   needs a Windows binary needs a very specific environment to avoid
   unwanted system dependencies)

You should be able to build on Linux or Windows (or MacOS assuming cygwin works well enough with NSIS) although anything other than Windows will require a little more setup in the first instance

I'd be happy to mentor volunteers through their first couple of releases.

Once you get into the swing of things, the process is fairly quick.

The only pre-requisite is that you need to be a committer.

So, who'd like to volunteer?

Long ago I threatened to RM for the 8.5 line and never followed through.

I'd love to be able to get things working on MacOS if at all possible. Otherwise, I can build a Linux or Win10 environment in a Virtual Machine for everything.

Can you devote some time to working with me to bash-through the initial setup?

-chris