On 10/20/22 04:44, Mark Thomas wrote:

On 07/10/2022 10:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
Hi all,

I don't think there is a need to make a decision on this quickly, but based on past experience and the current discussions about Jakarta EE 11 I think this is something we need to start thinking about.

Some key facts:

- Tomcat 7.0.x reached EOL on 31 March 2021
- EOL dates for major versions tend to be 3-4 years apart
- We aim to support 3 major versions in parallel - currently 8.5.x,
   9.0.x and 10.1.x.
- Tomcat 11 will implement Jakarta EE 11
- Current Jakarta EE discussions are around a release in ~1 year
- Ideally, Tomcat 8.5.x EOL would be just after Tomcat 11 is declared

Based on the above I think EOL for 8.5.x should be either 31 March 2024 or 30 Sept 2024 depending on when we think Jakarta EE 11 will be released.

Jakarta EE releases have tendency to slip so I think the 30 Sept 2024 is probably the more likely. However, it is much easier to delay an EOL date than to bring to bring it forward so my current thinking is to announce 31 March 2024 as the EOL date for 8.5.x and keep in mind that we can extend that if we want to.

That seems reasonable. Were you thinking that we should announce that approximate date /now/ or wait until March 2023 and give 12 months notice?

If we are agreed, I don't see a particular reason to wait.

I'm wondering if I should migrate my applications to 9.0 or 10.x and start re-writing imports. The flexibility of Tomcat 10.x is just incredible. I'm kind of leaning toward skipping 9.x.


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

Reply via email to