"Phil Steitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Mark Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Costin Manolache wrote:
>>  > I understand people using JDBC authenticator would miss the connection
>>  > pooling - but maybe they could download it separately ? Would't be
>>  > easier to just download the 'official' version ?
>>
>>  No. commons-dbcp supports far more than just pooling for the JDBC
>>  authenticator. The reason we do the renaming is to avoid class loading
>>  issues when users want to use a Tomcat-managed connection pool alongside
>> an
>>  application that uses commons-dbcp and/or commons-pool directly.
>>

>>  > I'm also curious, assuming JDK1.5 is used to compile - would the
>>  > tomcat distro work in JDK1.6 if dbcp is compiled with 1.5 ?
>>
>>  Yes it does. To be more accurate, I haven't seen any issues using the
>>  re-packaged DBCP on 1.6.

Well, of course, if you try and use any of the new JDBC-4 methods on Objects
returned by dbcp, then expect your app to explode :).  But if you just use
JDBC-3 methods or below, then it should work fine.

>>  > In any case - it kind of sucks to not be able to build following the
>>  > instructions ( ant download, ant ) - I didn't find any ref that JDK1.6
>>  > is not supported for build.
>>
>>  Correct.
>>
>>  If you want to fix this you could always port the DBCP build fixes from
>>  commons.
>>

> This isssue is being tracked as DBCP-191.  Comments, suggestions,
> patches are welcome on the ticket or on commons-dev.  Opinions on JDK
> support levels/branching from tomcat perspective would be appreciated.

*If* dbcp had been built around a Factory model (e.g. BasicDataSource was a
package level class instead of being public), then BasicDataSource could be
made abstract with a BasicDataSource3 class (that doesn't implement anything
other than constructors) and a BasicDataSource4 class that implements
JDBC-4.  Then the BasicDataSourceFactory could determine at runtime which
implementation to send back, with exclude statements on BasicDataSource4 if
compiled on a Java-5 or lower system.

This is generally the model used in Tomcat for JDK changes (the best example
is the JSSE support in Tomcat 5.5.x and below, but used other places as
well).  But Tomcat has the advantage that almost nobody references its
internal classes directly :).