Cool. Some notes ...

(1) Since we already have
- effectiveMajorVersion
- effectiveMinorVersion

Is Context.version a "good name" to use? Since the name version is also used by the servlet spec? Would "revision" be a less confusing name? (Or webappRevision).

(2)
[I thought of this as a side effect of reading the patch ...]

Would it be a good idea if Tomcat by default always has a default ROOT webapp? Then we can guarantee a webapp is always mapped and we can let that webapp handle the 404 error. This might simplify some of the mapper and adapter code. So if there is no default webapp - tomcat inserts the default.

-Tim