On 20.06.2011 16:06, Mladen Turk wrote:
> On 06/20/2011 03:53 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> On 20.06.2011 15:41, Mladen Turk wrote:
>>
>> In general all commands except those that start a Tomcat (and thus
>> deploy webapps etc.) should not use that type of params. They should go
>> into CATALINA_OPTS. Everything that you can use multiple times in
>> parallel, even for the helper programs can go in JAVA_OPTS.
>>

> Hmm, make sense.
> Seems there is general missunderstanding of those two.
> People usually put in JAVA_OPTS what actually belongs to CATALINA_OPTS.
>
> Dunno what to think actually at the moment.

Yes, I always thought the names are confusing. But probably much to late
now. The split was introduced long ago in TC 6 times.

If we change it, we break peoples config who set them in setenv.

One can make some sense out of the name: CATALINA_OPTS are the ones that
CATALINA=Tomcat needs to run.

Regards,

Rainer